Ladakh Calling? Here's what you need to Know!Wednesday, May 05, 2010
Photographs from Ladakh -
Wildlife of Ladakh
15 Images from Ladakh in Color
Ladakh in Shades of Grey
So what’s the big deal about Ladakh?
How do I reach Ladakh?
Do I need to worry about that AMS thingy that keeps coming up during every Ladakh discussion?
Okay, Now that I have acclimatized, what do I see/do?
- Pangong Lake, at an altitude of 14000ft is a brilliant blue lake shared by India & China at a distance of 150kms from Leh. Requires one day to visit.
- Tso - Moriri, at an altitude of 15000ft is another high altitude lake set in the desolate landscape of Rupshu at a distance of 220kms from Leh. Night halt at Karzok village by the lake side. Requires two days.
- Tso - Kar and Statsapuk - Tso are two salt water and fresh water lakes respectively which can be accessed upon taking a diversion from Taglang La. Can be done on the return journey from Tso Moriri to Leh.
- Khardunga La is believed to be the highest motorable road at 18300ft situated at a distance of 37 kms from Leh.
- Nubra Valley is nestled in the lap of Karakoram Ranges. The capital town of Diskit is at a distance of 118kms from Leh - attractions include the rolling sand dunes and hilltop monastery
- Hunder, 125kms from Leh is noted for it's small population of the double humped bactrian camels.
- retracing the path and a diversion at Khalsar to the left will take you to Sumur, 115 kms from Leh, famous for Samstaling Monastery.
- Further ahead, lies the hot sulphur springs of Panamik, 140kms from Leh.
- 163kms west of Leh lies the Dah/Hanu villages of community tribe Brokpa, who are believed to be descendants of a lost Aryan Tribe. Contrary to the stark Tibetan features of Ladakh people, these people have distinct Aryan features.
- Coming towards Namika La from Dah/Hanu takes you through the ruins of Chiktan fort.
- Night halt at Kargil.
- 140kms from Kargil upto Penzi La lies the beautiful Suru Valley with Nun-Kun massif rising in the background.
- From Penzi La, you get complete views of the majestic Drang Drung Glacier.
- It takes one whole day to reach Padum in Zanskar valley from Kargil. Leh - Padum cannot be done in one day. Needs a night halt at Kargil.
- Zanskar is virtually untouched by the winds of change owing to its inaccessibility. Zanskar is also known as Land of Religion with the highest concentration of Gompas(Monasteries)
- Shey, Hemis, Thiskey, Lamayuru, Samstaling, Likir, Stakna, Chemrey, Takthok, Matho, Alchi, Spituk, Phyang, Rizong are a few of the many prominent monasteries of Ladakh.
What about Inner Line Permit?
Protected Area Permits are required for visiting Khardung La, Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri, Dah-Hanu areas.